Skip to main content

Lazada Credit Card OTP Scam




My sis told me her friend had just been scammed in a very high end scam and had her credit card used to purchase high ticket items.  

We figured maybe she was not careful enough about keeping her credit card but we found out later that she did not pass any credit card info to the scammer. 

We came across this post and figured this must have  been how she got scammed. 

In the end,  no one could stop the transaction and she was at risk of losing the money because neither Lazada or the bank could do anything about this. 

Sharing the post here for educational purposes... 

Info drawn from: https://www.facebook.com/704083217/posts/10159005397258218/?d=n

 Reproduced here with permission of Stanley Fu. 

Scam alert (Very high level) and I almost fell for It! 

———

Someone who speaks very fluent English called me. He spoke with a slight Indian accent. 

He claimed to be from Lazada and said that they detected a transaction from UK, while my last log IP was in Singapore.

Hence, they have barred the UK transaction and suspended it. 

For further security, he will now help me reset and barred the transaction. All he needed, was my OTP to verify if i am the right person. 

Knowing such common scam, I went on to verify his identity instead.

He was able to tell me my email account as well as my Contact Number and even my address! He was so pro that when he read me my email address, he said “you email starts with stan****@ymail.com. Your hp number ends with **33.” He don’t just read out the full details and that makes him very pro like a trained customer service officer.

Following that, to help me bar the fraudulent transaction, he shared that he will sent me an email with a OTP to verify if I am the real "Stanley" he is supposed to speak to.

When I received the email while on the phone with him, the email and sms sent, was indeed from Lazada! It is not a phishing email or sms.

At the moment, it makes sense to give him the OTP.

The person sounded so genuine and wanted to protect my lazada account! 

Somehow, out of my gut, i refused to give him the OTP and want to check further. I have this feeling because I heard many people doing calls at the background. This is very unlike a secured call. 

Thats when he gets very irritated, and kept asking what do I need to verify further? He kept saying he has many calls to make and I have kind of spent 15 mins of his time still not believing him.

I scolded him for his impatience and hung up immediately. His impatience gave it away.

I called up Lazada and found out that it was a scam!

Basically, they have gotten enough info about me, and they want to trick me into resetting my password. 


1) Hence the OTP from Lazada is indeed from Lazada.

2) The SMS Otp was also from Lazada

2) The moment he gets the OTP, they will change my password and charge cash credit transactions.


Hence! Pls be careful! They sound so legit especially when they are able to produce a real lazada email and scam you for that!


If you pickup similar calls, don’t fall into their trap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bank Transactions Phone Scam

  Today I received a phone call from a mobile phone number.  When I picked up, it was a very professional typical voice answering system that sounds similar to those used by large companies… The message said that there are many transactions being made in my account and that I should press 1 to speak to a customer service officer. By now I already suspected they it is a scam mainly because my corporate  phone that received this call  is NOT LINKED to any bank. Out of curiosity, I pressed 1. So it went to another audio that said their lines are busy and that I should hold the line. Then someone picked up the phone and in a Singaporean accent asked “Good morning, how may I help you..” I was pretty amazed!!! But so that they cannot record my voice. I hung up after I took a screen capture of the number. Then i called my bank to check that no transactions were  made to my account and reported this to them. I asked the bank what was the right thing to go the next time and the bank officer sai

Dating App Scams

I was trying to start dating again after a failed relationship and some friends suggested using a dating app. Turns out that that was the BEST and also the WORST suggestion ever. The BEST because I did eventually find Mr Right on the app.. BUT, not before I met tonnes of scammers online. While I didnt lose any money, it was an absolute waste of time and energy for me and it was such hard work to filter them out! I really almost gave up! Anyway, I thought since I already put in the work, why not share my FINDINGS and SOP so other women who are interested in dating online can benefit from it? Once you have decided which app you will like to use, one of the most important things is the profile that you put up. Do take note to avoid the following things: Do not tell them upfront if you are widowed or divorced or recently broken up (scammers love people with these profiles so you end up wasting alot more time) Do not put just a "pretty photo" and do not use any photo w

Why scammers make grammer mistakes

 Read an interesting article today and it explained in detail why scammers make spellling and grammatical errors ON PURPOSE! 😂 Sharing with you here..  Enjoy!  https://josephsteinberg.com/why-scammers-make-spelling-and-grammar-mistakes/?fbclid=IwAR0u6cOB0EOQjquMxdlVw1IJfYRPtZQZNGXVEBjO8fzrgji_dRyDXcwwGlU